Sunday, September 25, 2011

2011 9-25 Daisy Mountain

Sun Rising over Daisy Mountain
It's my opinion that Daisy Mountain is the best peak to climb in Maricopa County.  It is a beautiful hike.  For me the beauty is Daisy Mountain itself.  Depending on the time of day, Daisy Mountain has different personalities.  In the morning the sun rises behind the mountain providing perfect back lighting and hiking in the shade.  When the sun sets the mountain glows red.  Simply outstanding.

If yesterday's hike was like carpooling on the 405, today's hike a lonely drive in the countryside.  If I'm going to do the Phoenix Summit Challenge in November (more info here), I figured I have to crank up my hiking.  So this morning I decided to hike my "home trail" of Daisy Mountain.



The hike is basically flat for the first mile.  This allowed me time to get stretched out and to make sure I had recovered from yesterday's hike.  After hiking the flat section and the first hill, you are awarded with a southern view of Anthem and a northern view of what is coming.  As the trail started getting steep, it began to sprinkle just a bit.  This was really weird because the sky was blue and the clouds were white.  I wasn't complaining though because the smell of fresh rain in the desert is overwhelmingly great!



I guess now is as good as time as any to admit I think I'm crazy.  You see, I am convinced that my iPod can sense my mood and plays songs that it thinks match my mood.  This morning it was REM's Untitled Track (link), Stan Ridgeway's A Mission in Life (link) and Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Ranger's Saga of the Old West (link).

I reached the loop turn off in about 45 minutes and southern summit in just over an hour.  From there its a  quick hike to the northern summit.  This is where the flag is ... or was ... today it was just a flag pole.  I spent about 1/2 hour here resting, thinking and enjoying some alone time.  It was cool to take the iPod off and listen to nothing.


After gathering my stuff, I began down the backside of the mountain.  I guess I lost the trail back there and spent about 1/4 mile scrambling "off trail".  After making down the back and looping around to the loop turn off, it was a quick hike back to the Gem Car.  It was great to hike 2 days in a row!

3D Track Log from Google Earth


By the way ... after the hike I had to go buy some new pants for a business trip this week (my boss told me I needed them).  Well - my waist is SIX inches smaller!  Woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment